Thursday, August 19, 2010

French Guinea Take 2


French Guinea

So the french have me trapped...I'm surrounded with no way out, so thats what i do, look for a way out. I hire a taxi to take me to the airport to find a ticket out. Much to my chagrin, theres no escaping, unless of course i want to go to paris, or one of the french islands in the caribbean, but i just escaped the caribbean and i don't want to go back.

i take the bull by the horns and buy a ticket to belem, brasil, i figure once there i an get my way south to either sao paulo, or further, like montevideo, or buenos aires.

The sucky part about all this is that i'm still stuck in french guinea, where as on sunday everything was closed, today, some shops are opening and its a little bit more lively, more lively in the sense that there are now flies buzzing around the dead dog on the side of the road. For lunch i decide that i'm going to eat at the same place i ate yesterday, as i've discovered that my french is better than my portugese (which is nil) and not as good as my spanish. I can read signs on the wall, of course the ones with pictures are a hell of a lot easer, but speaking it leaves me at a total disadvantage.

If i had to compare, i'd say that the french i've met while traveling have been quite the nice bunch of people, no way should this be correlated back to their countryfolk who only travel to french speaking destinations, they are in fact much like the koreans, believing that their food, their language and their lifestyle are by far above everyones, and should in fact be adopted by everyone who is not yet come to see their light or drink there cool aid.

so bad in fact that the morning reception girl made an attempt at english, the evening girl simply shrugged her shoulders and in effect told me to talk to the hand...gee thanks, i'm gonna recommend all my english speaking friends who decide to visit this over priced shithole to come and stay here. even though they do have a lock on the market for one of the cheapest places in town at 43E a night.

i did get to see two episodes of the show prisoner with Ian Mckellan, the down side to that was that they were both overdubbed in french and i only caught a few bits and peices here and there of what was being said.


So after a long day of nothing in a place where there is really nothing to do, i called i quits and had a cab take me to the airport (at 40E mind you) what a waste of money if you ask me.

Next stop Brasil

No comments:

Post a Comment